Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Never Been To Disneyland!

Discussion in 'Disneyland' started by SteamBoatTay, Jun 26, 2017.

1. SteamBoatTay

SteamBoatTay New Member

I have been to Walt Disney World more than 50 times in my life and I am an annual passholder for WDW, but I am moving to Las Vegas now so I will only be a few hours away from Disneyland and I have never been there. We are planning on going towards the end of April. What rides are must do's and what restaurants are the best?? Any advice would be helpful because I have no idea even where to start :)

2. Disneykat

Disneykat New Member

SBT,
    I hope I can help you out with info here. One thing that is so different from WDW is there are hotels literally within walking distance of the DLR(Disneyland Resort) You could stay at a hotel and either take the shuttle or walk to the entrance. Some hotels I recommend are:

Howard Johnson(on Harbor Blvd)
    Anaheim Majestic Garden Hotel(this is one of my favorites)

There are other hotels literally along Harbor Blvd. These are my top 2 that I have stayed in and reccommend. Anaheim Majestic has a shuttle that takes you to the resort. The walk is a bit much(trust me I did it when I was at DL in 2013. Take the shuttle. )

Restaurants:

Disneyland:
    Plaza Inn- their chicken is the BEST. When I was an AP, I would go every Sunday and most of those days were spent enjoying the fried chicken.

Redd Rockets Pizza Port- I am not a pizza fan, but they have the best pizza.

Bengal BBQ-good for a quick snack

Cafe Orleans-Table service go for the Monte Cristo sandwich and pommes fritas.

Blue Bayou-you need reservations for this sit down, request a waterfront table. IMO, the food isn't the best, but the experience is great as you overlook the water of POTC.

Carnation Cafe- this is a very small table service restaurant on Main Street. It is quaint and one of my favorite places to eat. It is next door to Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor. Get a seat early as wait times can be long(they literally have less than 25 tables)

Of course the quick service places are a plenty. Jolly Holiday Bakery is a favorite as they have sandwiches, creme brulee, etc. It is a favorite among locals.

California Adventure:

Carthay Circle- You can enjoy a meal at the restaurant or enjoy a drink in the lounge.

Cove Bar- try the nachos! It's great place to enjoy the view of Paradise pier. My favorite is a Martini with the BBQ chicken pizza :)

Flo's V8 Cafe- One of the best restaurants(quick service) in DCA, IMO

For quick service, I enjoy Award Weiners. Hot Dogs, but worth it.

Lucky fortune Cookery. Really good teriyaki bowls.

Pacific Wharf Cafe- Soups in sourdough bread bowls. LOVE this place.

Downtown Disney

(Note: this is my personal opinion but don't waste your time on Tortilla Jo's. If you want mexican food, there are plenty of places in So Cal to enjoy good Mexican food. I will be happy to recommend one place near the DLR in Garden Grove that will give you a very unique experience with great food.)

Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen- table Service and really good food.

Napa Rose at the Grand Californian is a great choice for table service. Reservations required.

ESPN Zone and Rainforest are good. But you can get to those at WDW

LaBrea Bakery is great for breakfast and Earl of Sandwich is a good choice for an inexpensive meal.

I can also recommend places outside of the Park as well, but will save that for another response if you need it.

Rides:

Disneyland:

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye- This is one of my favorite rides and one I cannot wait to take friends on.

Space Mtn- It is very different from WDW.

Pirates of the Caribbean- the layout is different from WDW. Enjoy.

Get a Dole whip and see the Tiki Room show. If you are lucky you will be entertained by the famous CM, Maynard. He's THE BEST and an all around great guy. Wait around as the crowds leave and talk to him. He will have a funny little show for you. He used to work at HM and was my favorite cast member there. He has a fb page btw.

IASW-The facade is outdoors. Complete opposite of WDW. It's really pretty especially at Christmas.

Haunted Mansion looks different from WDW. It is a classic ride and I believe the layout is different too. You ride an actual elevator vs the ceiling raising as it does in FL.

Mickey's toontown is worth a fun visit mainly because of how different it is than what they have at MK out there.

Right now there is a lot of construction going on with Star Wars land, but take a ride because they have made some fun updates to the Frontierland sections of the Grand Circle tour. Listen as you are in the New Orleans Square Station, there is a telegraph tapping out Walt's Opening Day Speech for Disneyland.

On Main Street, you can stand in the spot where Walt delivered his opening day speech. Just in front of the flag pole(there is a plaque with his entire speech at the flag pole) The castle is significantly smaller than Cinderella's at MK. It may shock you a bit. ;)

Ride the Matterhorn!!!!

CA Adventure:
    Spend time in Carsland!!!! Not going to lie, you will feel like you have literally walked into Radiator Springs and it is AMAZING. Radiator Springs Racers is worth every minute of the wait. My recommendation though is to utilize the single rider line if possible.

California Screamin- LOVE this roller coaster. Single Rider if possible.

Toy Story Midway Mania

Grizzly River run- you will get wet

Soarin is always a fun one but fast passes are needed.

Monsters Inc ride is really fun and cute. Don't miss it

Guardians of the Galaxy-I have mixed feelings on this as I loved it as Tower of Terror, though I must admit, TOT at WDW is MUCH BETTER.

A few notes about DCA- the main entrance is just beautiful. They re-did the entire area and it's just amazing. Carthay Circle is themed after the theater where Snow White premiered(that is where the restaurant and Lounge are)

Enter Radiator Springs from the Pacific Wharf entrance. It brings you in along Radiator Springs Racers and it is really beautiful.

If you like being scared, take a ride of one of the moving cars on Mickey's Fun Wheel.

Spend some time in the Animation Building. Especially in Beast's Library. It's a great place. Turtle Talk with Crush is also located there but the main lobby area is one of my favorite places.

I hope this helps. I am happy to answer any questions you may have.

3. SteamBoatTay

SteamBoatTay New Member

Thank you so much!! This is extremely helpful! We are planning on going late September or early October. I am getting super excited to experience Disneyland!

TDAdmin likes this.
  4. Disneykat

Disneykat New Member

Fall, so beautiful at the DLR. Haunted Mansion Holiday will be up and running by then.

Sauvageau.Travel and TDAdmin like this.
  5. Paige

Paige New Member

Late April is a great time to go! I usually end up going in August when the weather is brutally hot and the crowd sizes are some of the busiest of the year, so I certainly envy you. Personally, a trip to the Disneyland Resort isn't complete without deviating at least an hour out of your trip to stroll through all of the stores and attractions on Main Street! Now this is partially because its a great way to escape the summer heat, but I also love going into the cinema to watch the super super old cartoons (my youth is showing here lol!), grabbing an ice cream from Gibson Girl and listening to the rag time piano player on the corner, and browsing the stores for some of the really unique merchandise. Main Street is also a great place to see characters, as all the classic Disney characters (plus some others depending on the time of day) hang around Main Street right by the entrance/exit to Disneyland. There's also the Disney Gallery where you can see a bunch of really nostalgic Walt pictures and quotes that'll make you a bit teary-eyed if you're as much of a fan of the man as I am!
    I'd also recommend that you 100% cannot have a visit to the resort without going to Radiator Springs in Disney's California Adventure! It is probably my favourite place in DCA, and I'm not even the biggest fan of Cars (I love it, but there are a lot of other Disney movies that top it in my opinion). The sheer amount of accuracy that was dedicated to building it, between the placement of all the buildings and the unofficial "light up ceremony" at dusk everyday (ask a cast member around what time they'll be turning on the lights and STICK AROUND TO WATCH IT BECAUSE IT'S MAGICAL), as well as how much innocent fun you have on each of the rides (Radiator Springs Racers is super fun, BUT GET A FASTPASS. You'll thank me later), Cars Land is so freaking cool! Flo's is a great place to eat, too!